Tuesday, July 27, 2010

If I was to remake a film...


I'm not a fan of remakes even though some of my favorite films are remakes. Films such as John Carpenter's "The Thing" and David Cronenberg's "The Fly" are two of my childhood favorites. Other remakes that I like and I feel most people do that worked well were Scorsese's "Cape Fear" and "The Departed". Both films I feel most people don't realize are remakes. Now the remake I would want to do wouldn't fit into the class of these films because I'm talking about remaking KILLDOZER! Which was according to wikipedia "a made for TV science-fiction/horror movie filmed in 1974, adapted from a 1944 novella by Theodore Sturgeon. A comic-book adaptation appeared the same year, in Marvel Comics Worlds Unknown #6 (April 1974)." I saw this film sometime in 1994 or 1995 on the Sci-Fi Channel and had forgotten about it someone told me to google "Marvin Heemeyers" and then the name Killdozer! clicked. Since then I've tried to find a vhs copy of this film and had no luck but luckily this is the age of the internet and it wasn't too hard to find a viewable platform. I digress. The original film takes place on an island off the coast of Africa where 5 or 6 construction workers battle to the death with a bulldozer that's been possessed by a meteor from outer space but ends on a pretty high note and a low body count. It's super cheesy yet a very fun film in a very 70's way. Being that it's a made for tv movie from 74, it's very out dated and like Conan says below the thing moves about 10 to 15 mph. I feel like this film was already sort of remake into one of my favorite Stephen King films which he directed, "Maximum Overdrive", it came out in 1986 is pretty much "Killdozer!" times ten thousand with a soundtrack by AC/DC to push it even more over the top. I've seen "Maximum Overdrive" probably a hundred times and always try to get people to watch it whenever someone says they've never heard of it because I really do think it's that awesome of a film. The trailer doesn't do this film justice!

Conan even calls out Stephen King in this clip but about "Christine" instead and then this film being remade is brought up by one of the guys that was in the original film.

My idea for a remake of this film would keep a couple ideas from the original film. Keep it on an island off the coast of somewhere tropical. I think only four people die in the first film, hardly enough to give it such an awesomely epic name as KILLDOZER so up the number of people on the island should be around 50 for large body count. Scratch the idea of a construction crew and replace it with a military testing island. The basic bulldozer is an awesome piece of machinery and could do all sorts of damage but I don't see the U.S.A. using anything basic so I'd replace that with this killing machine that some kid made a model of in the memory of Marvin Heemeyers.

Seeing this dude on a killing spree would be awesome! I like the idea of a rock falling out of the sky and then it's special powers being released into a bulldozer that tries to move it but a much cooler idea would be that the meteor was on the island from millions of years ago and is uncovered when some scientists blow a hole in the side of mountain while testing out some weapons and they try to use the newly created, one of a kind KILLDOZER and that's when it possesses the machine and the blood bath begins. I'm not gonna sit here and tell you everything that would happen but that would be my starting point. The more the gore and the less that cgi the better. Lots of stuff being blown up and no one gets out alive, well maybe a mini dozer...

The next film under attack for a McStotts remake would be the classic film from 1993 "Carnosaur"...

No comments:

Post a Comment